I serve a God who can handle the questions.

-Beverly Mitchell

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Et tu, Brute?


Whenever life is affirmed over against death, there the Spirit is at work.
-Beverly Mitchell on Moltmann

Tonight in Systematic Theology we talked about how Jürgen Moltmann believes the Holy Spirit is at work whenever life is affirmed over and against death.  Dr. Mitchell said that “anyone who says yes to life says no to war."

Then I came home and said no to life and yes to war.  I killed a mouse.  Earlier he visited me and felt like a friend, but I didn’t want his poop on my floor or countertop.  Where is the Holy Spirit in that?  Does radical hospitality include little creatures that defecate all over your house?  So many questions, so little time!

2 comments:

  1. you should try live traps ;) i used them all the time at the gallery in georgetown because we had tons of mice and i couldn't bring myself to hurt the poor little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. it might be possible to scoop the little creatures and take them outside, but it doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete