I serve a God who can handle the questions.

-Beverly Mitchell

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

faith seeking understanding



Anselm of Canterbury, a Benedictine monk, wrote that theology is "faith seeking understanding."  When it comes to God, I have tons of questions.  During the first week of Systematic Theology our professor said that the God she serves can handle our questions.  I said Amen.   


In my classes at Wesley Theological Seminary we talk a lot about practical theology--a theology that comes out of the stuff of life.  Robert Schreiter puts it this way: "Rather than moving from faith to life (theory to practice), [practical theology] moves from life to faith and then back to life (practice to theory to practice)."  Practical theology is rooted in the stuff of life, our daily experiences.  Washing the dishes, going running, driving past an accident on the interstate.  Practical theology makes meaning out of our everyday lives.

I want this blog to be a place for theological reflection on the stuff of life--my life, in particular.  I will talk about the things I love (food and my husband, not necessarily in that order) and the things I do (cooking dinner, home repairs, stressing, napping, working with teenagers), and look for God's presence in it all. 

I believe in a God who loves so much God chose to live among us, experiencing all the joys and pains of life. The God I believe in gets into all our messy stuff.  Here's my mess. Welcome!


Source: Studying Congregations: A New Handbook




3 comments:

  1. Amen to questions. And I really like your credo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the large flashlight in the picture above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questions are the stock and trade of faith.

    ReplyDelete